300x250 AD TOP

Monday, April 18, 2011

Tagged under:

Creepy abandoned cities

 These days the only things that land on Hashima Island are the shits of passing seagulls. An hour or so’s sail from the port of Nagasaki, the abandoned island silently crumbles. A former coal mining facility owned by Mitsubishi Motors
 Hard to imagine....Varosha, Famagusta. Tourist area that has been abandoned since the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974.
 Hashima Island, a former coal mining facility. it was once the most densely populated place on earth, packing over 13,000 people into each square kilometre of its residential high-risers. It operated from 1887 until 1974, after which the coal industry fell into decline and the mines were shut for good. With their jobs gone and no other reason to stay in this mini urban nightmare, almost overnight the entire population fled back to the mainland, leaving most of their stuff behind to rot.
 Former City of Chernobyl, entire city abandoned since the explosion of it's nuclear plant. It's still too dangerous to live reoccupy there as the city is still loaded with radiation. Few brave to venture there to tour it and take pictures.

 Oradour-sur-Glane, was destroyed and 642 of its inhabitants were massacred by Nazis in 1944.

 When the Soviet Union collapsed, government didn’t have much funds to support some small cities around strategically import objects. People of these cities were left all by themselves. Nobody could support them because any communication with this places terminated after the army decided that they now don’t have money to support those objects.
People had to leave their places and move. Some were lucky to find their place under a sun of the Army of new Russian Federation, some less fortunate had to leave such places without any hope to find a new home, just because the shops stopped working, water stopped coming out of the facet and nobody cared about them any more.

 Abandoned military hospital in Antwerp

 The ruined Spanish-Gothic interior of the United Artists Theater in Detroit. The cinema was built in 1928 by C Howard Crane, and finally closed in 1974.
This photo of an old Cambodian temple proves that derelict can be beautiful.


Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.